Saturday, April 30, 2011

What We're Reading Now

I've actually seen a couple of posts lately on other blogs that list the books that their little ones love and it gave me the idea to put one together of what we are reading right now!

Little L LOVES books!  Which is good because my favorite thing to buy for her is books!  I've discovered the books at Goodwill and Savers (a thrift shop).  They are all $0.99 or less and I've gotten quite a few for $0.49!  They're usually in pretty decent shape and it really doesn't matter that they aren't brand new since even new books don't look too new after a few reads through by Little L.  :)  So here are her favorites right now.

Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans
Little L absolutely loves this book!  For months she made us read this book before every nap and every time she went to bed.  She even took it to bed with her most nights!  Her favorite part is when "all the little girls cried 'BooHoo! We want to have our appendix out too;"  She always laughs at the sad face I make when I read that line.  This is the first book that she really "read" to me.  It is amazing what she can remember!

Corduroy by Don Freedman
I'm loving the fact that some of Little L's favorite books are "classics"!  This is another one that Little L was having us read every night for awhile.  I think her favorite part is when Corduroy accidentally ends up on the escalator and thinks he's climbing a mountain (I always make the book go up and she loves that!)

Shiver Me Letters: A Pirate ABC by June Sobel
This one has moved up the list to her number one favorite right now!  I found it at Goodwill for $0.49 and thought it would be a fun read.  It's about pirates that decide they need other letters (besides 'R' of course!) to help make them tough.  The best part is both the hubby and I get to practice our pirate voices when we read this one!

Freight Train by Donald Crews
Yet another Goodwill find!  The copy I got is actually an old library book but it is in great condition.  This one has a really simple story but the pictures are so amazing!  Little L loves pointing at each type of car on the freight train.

Skippyjon Jones by Judy Schachner
One of my favorite bloggers (Amanda at ohAmanda and Impress Your Kids) had mentioned this one in a post of hers and so when I saw it at Goodwill I had to have it!  This is another one of those fun voice books.  I get to use my best Hispanic accent when I read it to Little L and it always makes her laugh!  (me too!)


Well, that's just a short list of some of our top read books in Little L's room.  Now on to what the hubby and I are reading.

He said it was a little slow to start off with but he has been enjoying it a lot!  Last night he read about the Throne Room of God and said it was just amazing to read!  I'm planning on reading it when he's finished.

I have been feeding the 12 year old girl that lives inside of me by reading the Anne of Green Gables series by L.M. Montgomery.  
I actually found the first three books (Anne of Green Gables, Anne of Avonlea, and Anne of the Island) in a box my parents had brought me from home a few years ago.  I thought I had read them before but when I started reading them I realized I never had!  They have been such great reads that I haven't been able to put them down!  (And I was greatly relieved when Anne and Gilbert finally got engaged at the end of Anne of the Island!)  Now I just have to go get Anne of Windy Poplars from the library since they don't have it as an ebook on Amazon (they have all but 2 from the series as free ebooks). This is definitely a series I will be reading with Little L when she gets older!  (Along with The Chronicles of Narnia and The Little House on the Prairie books!)

Well, I hope this gave you some inspiration to go pick up a book! 



1 comments:

Laura L said...

These are some great picks! We love Madeline and Corduroy. We also have 3 or 4 of the SkippyJon Jones books, they are new to me but we have enjoyed them so far and the kids love them.